Monday, November 7, 2022

Paris is as real as it gets



We've hit the highlights in Paris that any tourist typically sees. Today I decided to go out and find the real Paris, the nitty gritty, part of Paris nobody sees. So I put on my beret, eiffel tower earrings and donned a stylish scarf and off I went. 

The first thing that happened when I stepped out the door was someone blew smoke in my face. Damn, a lot of people smoke here. Undeterred, I headed to a cafe for a cappuccino and croissant. I was ignored at the counter for 15 minutes. I finally got the goods and of course, there was no place to sit.

On to the metro, what could be more Parisian? Down 10 sets of stairs and I'm waiting for the train with 200 other people. The train is packed and my face is shoved against the door window. Unfortunately I am transferring trains so more stairs and another packed train. 

Up from the metro and onto the street, I'm heading for the side streets. No Champs Elysees for this gal. I'm a little hungry, How about one of those out of the way Paris cafes? What? Most  of the cafes are already closed or won't open again until 7:00 pm. I settle for a big mac. I'm hungry dammit!

OK I am not defeated yet. Surely there are a couple of small art galleries somewhere along here. There are. They are closed, only open 1:00-1:30, once a month. 

I come out of a side street to a roundabout and there are a couple hundred people shouting about something. There are banners and speeches are in French so I don't have a clue what they are unhappy about. 

I notice about 10 police vans on a side street with heavily armed police. They ain't taking no chances this crowd won't turn violent, as Paris protests sometimes do. 

Meanwhile, a homeless man sits on the sidewalk with a  cup out while a women who looks like she stepped off the cover of vogue walks by. People rush here and there- a mother with a stroller, an old woman with her groceries, teenagers on skateboards. The sun is shining, it's a beautiful day. 

There is a beautiful building across the street with a gold horse and rider on both sides. I stop to take a picture. Paris is both beautiful and real.






via Blogger https://ift.tt/tCX6zUE
November 07, 2022 at 09:53PM

No comments:

Stranger in a strange land that's me