Friday, October 14, 2022

My favorite part of Madrid



 We have been in Madrid, a city of 3.2 million, for 1 week as of tomorrow. Madrid is a big city that is very busy, lots of traffic, lots of people. I cant imagine how busy it must be at the height of tourist season. 

I feel like I have seen the highlights of Madrid, most of the landmarks, it's beautiful buildings. Went to a museum, botanical gardens.  Walked through the big park 3 or 4 times. Ate out. 

I could navigate my way through the city anywhere at this point using metro or bus. Easy system to use and understand. I am not afraid to go places by myself in these cities. Google map so is my best friend.

I see so much because I walk everywhere. To get to the central part of the city I can walk through a big park or take the bus or train. I've mostly walked. Walking through the park is really nice.  I walk everywhere. 

On a trip like this, you learn real quick how to navigate your way around. What bus or train is near where I'm staying? How do I pay for it? Where is the stop? Which direction do I go. We have only stayed in Dublin in the central part of the city. Mostly we have stayed in neighborhoods. We quickly learn where is the nearest grocery store, pharmacy.

Even navigating the trains has become easier. The European train system is a lot easier to use than the UK. Less chaotic. More direct.

One thing I have discovered is there is a myth that people over here in Europe speak english, especially in the big cities. Not really true. People may speak un poquito, but many don't speak any at all. 

I also thought the fact that I had a pretty big group of spanish words I knew, that it would help me. You learn them just living in the U.S. Doesn't  really help. 

My favorite thing about Madrid? I'd have to the Parque del Retiro. I love these big parks in these cities. They have a variety of trees and flowers. They have really been designed well. The royal botanical garden is part of it. There is always something going on in the park. It's really fun. The last two cities have had gorgeous parks!





via Blogger https://ift.tt/wDpxf80
October 14, 2022 at 05:47PM

No comments:

Stranger in a strange land that's me