Wednesday, October 12, 2022

European cities so much less frantic



One thing I have noticed in Europe is how livable the cities are. They are designed so people will enjoy their life. There are often times large parks which are beautiful with gardens and sports and lakes. Lots of people use the parks. There are restaurants and kiosks.

I have walked through the Parque Del Retiro three times since I have been here and been delighted each time. I have seen people running, walling, roller skating, dancing, meditating. There are always a couple of musicians playing.

Today we spent some time in the park. Lots of people there because of the national holiday. There were street performers putting on long shows with juggling, magic. There was Micky & Minnie, Transformer man,etc figures taking pictures with people. There were musicians. Lots of people were just sitting enjoying the day. 

Another thing that makes these cities liveable are the transportation systems. You can get anywhere in the cities easily on subways, trams, buses. They are easy to use and cheap. (1.50 in Madrid)

There are so many mom and pop restaurants that are cheap. Lots of outdoor cafes. Groceries, drug stores, retail stores are right in the neighborhood so you really could get by without a car. 

People here seem so much more relaxed, less frantic. They spend long periods at dinner, drinks with friends and family.

There are lots of benches to sit down and relax. They actually want you to sit and relax.

I know that I am looking at this from the outside in. I don't live here. I don't have the daily grind like people do in their lives. I get that. Its just that when a city is made more livable, life is easier. 




via Blogger https://ift.tt/pVDsMre
October 12, 2022 at 

No comments:

Stranger in a strange land that's me