Thursday, September 8, 2022

Fun at a German laundromat


 Went the laundromat one block from the hotel today by myself. I had looked at German laundromats and their were actual videos so I new I didn't need change and sort of how they work.

They are all computer driven. You put money in a machine at the wall, choose the number of the machine and you can now use that machine. If only it were that simple. 

Put the clothes in, detergent in. Then there is an electronic display asking what temp you want. So I pressed the lowest and start. Nope. Nothing. Tried a couple more times. Nothing. There was a old guy there and I threw my hands up and he came to help. He spoke no English. Tried same thing, pressed every temp except the last one with the word. Pressed that and it started. Yippee! 

Guy left to get coffee (asked if I wanted one). I'm sitting there and a guy comes in to repair a machine. Turns out he's the owners son, speaks English. He gave me a free dry after a woman was taking so long at the thing you put your money in. 

So he spoke good English, got into a long conversation. He told me about Augsburg, prices of apartments and houses. How houses are out of reach of average person. How the Plarrer was Augsburgs version of Octoberfest just earlier in the fall. The cost of beer at Octoberfest is $14 for a liter. (The beer mugs at the Plarrer probably hold a liter). Outrageous prices at Octoberfest he says. 

All in all, a really nice guy. It really is fun to talk to locals. You find out everybody has the same problems and views no matter where you go. You find out what everyday life is life. No different than yours.

No comments:

Stranger in a strange land that's me