Sunday, July 31, 2022

The night I threw the washing machine out the window

Ok it’s time to talk about UK washing machines. How absolutely fricking ridiculous they are. We are now in the 8th hour of a wash cycle here in Belfast.

The machines are a lot more complicated than just put it on cottons, press start and you are good to go…no you have 4-5 steps that never work the first couple of times. 

Turn it on. Press for few seconds. 

Next you pick how long you want it to go on. The shortest I found was in Edinburgh where you could choose one hour. Here in Belfast it’s 2 hr, 4 hr, 6hr, 9 hr. Yeah I said 9 hours folks! Now who in their right mind washes clothes for 9 hours? 

Next you select the kind of wash you want 1-15. Cottons, synthetics, blah blah blah. Sometimes there’s a water temp selection. I don’t know what temp the water should be! 

Then because some of them supposedly have dryers (it’s never really worked for me), you have to choose how dry you want them to be. (From not dry to ironing dry to completely dry I guess).  I cant imagine completely drying stuff, that would take 15 hours. Sometimes they have a drying temp selection. 

You really can’t stop this once it starts, If you turn it off, the door won’t open. 

So I have to ask, if you have say


a family of four, how do you wash clothes? These really don’t hold much. Are you continually washing clothes? I think washing clothes by hand down at the stream would be easier.

So these were M’s clothes and he probably overloaded which can causes the cycle to slow. About 2 hours in he got disgusted and tried resetting it. That probably starting the thing over. Apparently you can delay the cycle so the clothes won’t be sitting there a long time. That’s probably what happened here. 

Moral of the story: look up the instructions for each machine you encounter.



 



No comments:

Stranger in a strange land that's me