Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Highlights from slow travel in London

This has been quite the month. As of tomorrow we left the U.S. 32 days ago. 

At the beginning I had my doubts about the whole deal.  Sleep deprivation had me in quite a state. So got past that and here we are. 

I’m looking back on the month and feel like we have covered a whole lot of London. Most of central and all it’s tourist sites. Went to many different neighborhoods.

I’m not really someone who is into museums so didn’t visit any. I’m not saying won’t go to the Lourve, but nothing hear jumped out at me. 

I like to walk around and observe mostly. Sit in different areas. Look up funky areas or hidden places and go there. It’s more fun to me.

I did see the requisite tourist attractions: Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Tower bridge, the Eye, etc. that was cool but I enjoyed neighborhoods more where you can see how people live.

Thinking about what were  highlights, I can think of the top two. The first is coming out of the subway and seeing Westminster Palace was jaw dropping. It is such a magnificent place. Big Ben makes it even more beautiful. Then right next it is Westminster Abbey, another architectural marvel. Just unbelievable.

The other big highlight is at the opposite end of the spectrum. The neighborhood of Camden Town. It is a combination of hippy and punk with its funky storefronts and, shall we say, interesting people. I absolutely loved it.

I already have so many memories.




No comments:

Stranger in a strange land that's me