Wednesday, November 16, 2022

The 100 foot waves of Navare, Portugal


Navare

 
  
It was one of those Susan off the beaten path.   days today. It was gray, gloomy, looked like rain but we had to go. We had done it in Scotland at North Berwick to see the North Sea, at Greystones to see the Irish sea near Dublin. Again at Tramore to see the North Atlantic near Waterford. I could watch to the beach in Valencia and Barcelona. 

We had to go see the ocean. Where I wanted to go would take us an hour by bus and train.  I wanted to go to Carveletos beach.

Like most port cities, Lisbon is not on the open ocean. it sits at the mouth of a river that empties into the ocean. The open sea is 15 miles away. I wanted to go to a beach 23 miles away. That was the nearest places with the biggest waves. They were up to 15 feet today. 

I knew that Portugal has some of the best surfing and biggest waves in the world. At Navare, 2 hours away from Lisbon, waves can get 100 feet high. So even though 15 feet seems paltry compared to that, it's good enough for me.

We got off the train  and walked the half mile to the beach and it was deserted. It was deserted except for surfers running to the waves, bobbing in the ocean or walking out of it. 

 The waves were beautiful. Yes they were big. Another unforgettable moment on the trip for me. I could be persuaded to leave Minneapolis for living by the ocean, that's how much I love it. 

Navare waves average 50 feet high in the winter months. A few times a season they can reach 80-100 feet. I'll definitely be back to see that.



via Blogger https://ift.tt/O5SKeuP
November 16, 2022 at 09:56PM

No comments:

Stranger in a strange land that's me