Sunday, October 9, 2022

Who's the guy with the handlebar mustache?




Today I went on my own to Central Madrid.I walked to the but stop and found out the bus wasn't coming due to some event. So I decided to walk the 2.2 miles. It was a beautiful day. 

A big part of the walk was through a large park. I came to the cause of no bus service. It was an annual event called "Run for the Child" which benefits the Nino Jesus hospital (childrens) research foundation. Ten thousand people participated. It was just ending.

As I walked through the park there were many roller skaters.It seems to be so popular in Spain. There were classes for children happening and lots of adult skaters. 

I came across a group of  maybe 30 people meditating in a group. The funnest thing I saw was a group of people doing a salsa dancing class. Looked like fun. 

I got through the park and came into central Madrid and could hear loud music like a concert, so I walked toward it. There were maybe 5,000 people gathered in a plaza listening to Camilo. He is a very famous and popular singer from Columbia. He has a handlebar mustache. Lots of people of all ages were singing along. 

I walked up the street and asked a lady about the music. She said it was part of an upcoming La Fiesta Nacional de EspaƱa on October 12. It celebrates Columbus claiming the Americas for Spain in 1492. It led to the Spanish Empire. 

October 12 is also official Spanish language day, the Feasts of both Our Lady of Pillar and the Virgin of Guadalupe as well of the Day of Spanish Armed Forces. (per wikipedia) There is a big military parade, ceremonies with the Spanish flag. Government officials and the Royal family participate. It celebrates Spanish culture and history. Its one big fiesta! Cant wait!



via Blogger https://ift.tt/pPwUSFo
October 09, 2022 at 06:42PM

No comments:

Stranger in a strange land that's me