Sunday, October 23, 2022

I miss home



Has this trip satisfied my itch to travel? Do I still want to live somewhere other than the United States?

I have certainly seen a lot in this past 153 days. I have been to  9 countries, 13 cities. I've taken 5 plane rides, 10 train trips, too many bus, subway, tram rides to count. Oh and one funicular! Cant forget that. I've walked 658 miles in  these 5 1/2 months.  

The most I walked in one day was 9.9 miles. That was on July 13 in Edinburgh. Where the hell was I walking to that day? It probably involved hills since Edinburgh was all hills.

Oh yes, Edinburgh, a painful city. One of my most favorite on this trip but the hills and stairs could kill you. The only other city we encountered killer hills was Lausanne Switzerland. The city is built on a hill. To get t our airbnb from the train was a straight uphill climb. It took some getting used to. Worth it with the views from there. 

I've seen beautiful mountains on train trips through the alps and other places. The otherworldly greenery of Ireland. Beautiful lochs in Scotland. Beautiful beaches in Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Spain. 

I've seen castles, cathedrals, beautiful bridges, stunning architecture in London, France, Spain, Austria, Germany. I've on seen ordinary homes and opulent homes. Ancient buildings and new buildings. Walked cobblestone streets. Heard church bells ring in many countries. Heard street musicians in every country. 

I've heard many languages and accents  other than my own. Most of all, I've met many people, heard some stories, asked some questions. Felt the kindness of strangers.

The itch to travel isn't satisfied. I won't do it this way again but I will do it again. And again. Do i still want to live somewhere other than the United States? I don't know. I miss home.


via Blogger https://ift.tt/LJUmIFM
October 23, 2022 at 09:23PM

No comments:

Stranger in a strange land that's me