Saturday, July 23, 2022

Bagpiper hatred in Edinburgh

 I like hearing bagpipes. Who doesn’t like bagpipes? The thing is we don’t here them all the time. When we hear them it is special. 

You cant go far in Edinburgh without hearing someone playing. People play bagpipes like any other musician for money on the street. Some wear the big feather hat that is made of ostrich feathers traditionally. Some wear the day hat made of wool with ribbons on the back and decorative elements on one side.

The wear the highland dress with kilt with a plaid from their particular clan. I read there is a day kilt outfit and a more formal one. 

I have seen a couple of instances of bagpipe hatred- har. One time I’m walking down the street and this guy goes running by yelling at the top of his lungs straight for the bagpiper. I don’t think he physically assaulted him but he stopped him from playing. I saw somebody yell at one of them to “shut the fook up!”

So who knows? They are loud. The songs all sound alike. I don’t know if they are good or bad at it. 

What I really want to know is what is really in the bagpipers purse called a sporran. Purse you say? That ain’t a purse! It’s a purse just like my Hermes bag. (like I really have one of them). I cant believe these big manly Scots wear a purse. Har

Kilts have no pockets for some reason, the sporran is not only cool but practical. Traditionally made of leather and dapped out in trinkets


as much as you want. They were used for pistols, rations. Nowadays who knows? Cellphone, wallets, a container of haggis, breath mints?

I hope no one is offended by my attempt at humor here. I absolutely love Scottish culture. Just please tune down the bagpipes folks…


No comments:

Stranger in a strange land that's me