Monday, June 20, 2022

No. Ain’t feeling groovy. Slow travel.


 Slow travel. That’s what we’re doing. It’s become a thing. You spend longer than a vacation in one place so you can get to know it. 

This is our last week here and we have seen a lot. Seen all the requisite tourists places. Seen a lot of neighborhoods. We have gone somewhere just about every day with one or two rest days.

I am realizing that I am going to have to figure out how to do this. I cant run every day. Even if the active part of the day is only 4-5 hours.

So usually leave at 10 or 11 am. Go to the train, usually transfer to a different train. The tube system is easily navigated but…there are certain stations for certain lines. These transfer trains are never 20 feet away. They are half a mile away. Through a maze of halls, flights of stairs, escalators. 

You don’t need a stair stepper here. There are times you are going up five flights of stairs.The bigger the station, the longer away it will be. 

Then once you are outside, time to start the walk to where you are going. I have put in a minimum of five miles all the way to almost 8 a day.  I had been walking 4-5 miles at home a day so that helped. Still it’s exhausting for this 66 year old body. 

So we are 20 minutes from central London. It’s cheaper out here. However with the cost of transport and the wear on your body, I’m thinking it would be better to stay more central.

I’m worn out again. I just don’t feel good. Hard sleeping in the heat. I am coming to the conclusion that I don’t need to see everything. I’m doing this more to observe the culture more than anything. I need to slow way down if I want to get through the twelve months. 

Live and learn.


No comments:

Stranger in a strange land that's me